Sunday, January 2, 2011

Round Rangihoua 4 Hour - A Tops Day on Waiheke

OK, so my blogging has been very slack over this busy Christmas period (thanks to the many emails and conversations pointing this out to me) and I best thought I'll start where I left off and give you a race report of this tops little race I did before xmas.

This is the third year I have done the Round Rangihoua race and as per usual, Mother Nature turned on the weather for us, while the good folk at Waiheke Mountain Bike Club turned on a good race. The track was the same as it has been the last couple of years (without much reason to change it... Totally wicked fun!) and was for most of us, between 15-18mins long. The trail followed a solid climb up the side of the mountain before descending into sweet singletrack goodness flowing through some lovely berms, corners and kicks through native bushland. I was also quite stoked that I actually got to chase a chicken down the trail named "chicken run".

This was the longest ride I had done since World Champs and was really intended as a bit of a kick-start to my training again after a a couple of months chilling and cruising around on the bike. For the most part of the race, I felt pretty good. I drank really well, and actually felt pretty strong. I felt like I hadn't lost any base, as my legs ticked over pretty well for the full 4 hours, but I felt a little slow on the climbs and flats, which I suppose was a lack of speed and power training over the last couple of months. Being (once again) the only solo female, I took out the win and took home a lovely bottle of wine which went down rather well with Christmas lunch (Ladies take note, I'm keen to see some good competition out there next year!).

I hear a whisper the club are looking a running a more extensive race calendar this year and it would be awesome to see the club get some support. Department of Cycling (DOC) are pretty keen supporters of the event, too, so keep an eye on their website for details of how you can jump in with a group of people for a fun day out. It really is quite a sweet day out over on the island and such an easy trip over, too. You don't need a car... The distance to Onetangi Sports Park is very ridable with a backpack for your day's worth of goodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment