Sunday, January 2, 2011

Training With No Bike...

As some of you would be aware, the relationship between my saddle and my bottom hasn't been completely amicable since my last 24 hour race, and after being back in training for a month, it became apparent a few days ago that I would have to hang up the bike again for a few days, hook into the antibiotics and let these saddle sores sort themselves out. With the amazing weather we've been having and the fact that I finally have days off after being a slave to retail trading patterns over Christmas, I don't think words would describe how frustrating it is to be laid off the bike... I'm sure I'm not the only one, either... For many of us bike junkies, simply giving up the bike cold turkey results in many withdrawal symptoms including crankiness, loss of appetite, whinging and emptying our wallets with a bit of retail therapy at our favourite bike shop (hopefully Bike 75)

So, for those of you experiencing the same pain as me, I thought I would devise a list of awesome ways to keep bike withdrawal at bay during times of injury and illness:

1. Running... Yup, I hate it too... My legs are way too short, but it keeps me fit and is an excellent cardiovascular workout, not to mention it keeps my legs relatively strong to jump back on the bike when I can

2. Pump track... Not an option for all of us, but for me, perfect. I can play on the bike and not have to sit down and those pump tracks are a damn good workout! I highly recommend the one at Muriwai Beach on coast road near the tennis courts (if you feel like giving something back, do some weeding while you're at it) followed by a nice dip at the beach afterwards. The great thing about pump track is you can hang with your mates of all skill levels and run competitions as to how many times you can get around the track without pedalling. Guranteed to get the quads burning!

3. Weights... The gym in Summer doesn't really appeal to me much, but a great way to build strength off the bike.

4. Core stability... You would be surprised how much of an impact this has on your bike handling abilities.

5. Update your blog... Enough said.

6. Work on organising your race schedule, training plan and all associated details such as sponsorship and team mates... An excellent way to give yourself a goal to work towards when you do get back on the bike.

7. Read a good book. I just finished reading 1000 Hour Day by Chris Bray. I also highly recommend anything written by or about a cyclist... We're an intelligent and well-spoken bunch of people with some interesting stuff to write.

8. Read a good magazine... Issue 39 of Spoke has come out recently and always has some good stories and reviews to offer

9. Spend money on your bike.

10. Make sure you do the exercises/ take the medicine your doctor or physio has told you to!

With that in mind, I have plenty to go and do right now. Enjoy the sun!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment